School of Biological Science
Faculty of Science
The School of Biological Sciences (SBS) at The University of Auckland are seeking a highly motivated and capable laboratory and field technician to provide undergraduate teaching and research support to the Tāmaki and City campuses and field trip activities. These field activities include undergraduate day and residential field trips to a range of exciting locations.
As part of the Ecology, Evolution and Behavioural group, you will take on a varied role supporting undergraduate teaching and research laboratories at the Tāmaki and City Campus locations. The position will be largely based at Tāmaki until December 2019, and then the position will be based at the City campus thereafter.
About the Role
There are three main duties to this role.
- The first is to provide specialist support to ecological research and teaching team by bringing strong technical expertise and practical skills in the field and laboratory facilities.
- The second is to apply technical knowledge to the operation of ecology facilities (including shade houses, insectariums, animal husbandry facility, and stores) and ensure their ongoing compliance with health and safety, containment, and ethics regulations is followed.
- The third is to provide effective planning, advice, risk assessment and ongoing monitoring to support the health and safety of field activities.
Skills and Experience
Our ideal candidate will bring the following:
- A Masters in Ecology, Zoology or other relevant field
- Field work and outdoors experience in collecting data and completing research
- Scientific expertise in ecology or related fields (such as herpetology, ornithology, entomology, GIS, botany)
- Excellent time management, and organisation skills in planning managing field trips for large groups
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail and ability to provide accurate record keeping
- Practical experience with health & safety compliance particularly in outdoor/field based activities
The University of Auckland (42,000 students) is New Zealand’s leading university and maintains significant computational, laboratory and analytic facilities. The University is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave
- Company superannuation scheme, discounted car parking, a generous parental leave allowance, childcare and a number of other discounts on internal and external services.
For more information please visit Staff Benefits.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online, by the closing date of Wednesday 26th June to be considered. Please include your cover letter and CV combined as one document.
This is a Professional staff level 5 position.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatāpui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz